Every contact counts:
Transforming an inhospitable hospital
Goal: Advocate through policy and practice for individuals with disabilities within the hospital setting
Learning objectives: By the conclusion of this session, the participants will be able to
- Generate ideas to make the initial contact with the hospital efficient and effective for individuals with disabilities
- Identify personal beliefs or attitudes that influence behavior toward individuals with disabilities
- Discuss the options for transportation to the hospital or medical center
- Describe patient- and family-centered practices that are respectful of individuals with disabilities
- Create policies or procedures at the hospital to address problem-areas faced by individuals with disabilities.
- Apply methods of interacting with patients with disabilities universally to improve service for all patients.
- Health care clinicians
- Social workers
- Health care administrators
- Human resources professionals
- Patient representatives
Recommended time: 2 hours