Advocacy: A Systematic Approach to Systemic Change
(This Stinks and Needs to be Changed)
- Develop the Issue – (research the topic, reduce topic to core issues)
- Identify the Players – (who are your targets, allies and what venues are available)
- Adapt the message – (match core issue to target and venue)
- Perform the Action – (single approach or coordinated efforts)
- Evaluate the Results – (assess effectiveness and impact)
- Repeat the Process – (depending on results)
By the end of the session, participants will be able to:
- Develop an advocacy strategy based on a relevant issue and the constituencies involved.
- Identify multiple “Avenues of Advocacy”.
- Implement a coordinated, multifaceted advocacy initiative.
- Identify personal advocacy strengths and areas for development.
Audience: Self-advocates, nonprofit organizations, grassroots organizations, community groups, advocates.
Time: 90 minutes